Msɨt No’kmaq • All My Relations
“Everything is alive and is my relation.”
A Collaborative Symposium on Indigenous Research Ethics & Methods
Hosted by the Bay St. George Mi’kmaq Cultural Revival Committee (BSGMCRC)
In collaboration with:
Grenfell Campus Indigenous Resource Centre
Grenfell Campus Office of Research and Graduate Studies
Dates & Locations:
October 24, 2019 • in community (Parish Hall, St. George’s)
October 25, 2019 • Grenfell Campus (AS2011)
At the heart of Indigenous research and ways of being, knowing, and doing is the concept of relationship. What does it mean to be in relation? How do we establish, maintain, and nurture relationships? The Mi’kmaw foundational concept, Msɨt No’kmaq, or “all my relations,” is presented in long form to mean “Everything is alive and is my relation.” How does this inform Indigenous methodologies in research? What does this mean for researcher responsibility? How can we help to ensure research is conducted in a collaborative and ethical way?
Join us in a two-day symposium that will include presentations, group discussion, and collaborative activities for learning and relationship-building.
Some of the aims of this symposium include:
- To listen to experiences of local Mi’kmaw communities from a variety of research projects.
- To help orient western-knowledge-based researchers in understanding ethical ways of approaching research with Indigenous communities.
- To provide context for understanding what it means to be in relation.
- To acknowledge differences in understanding around terms like “partnership,” “consent,” and “collaboration,” and to consider the effects of these differences for communities.
- To consider the potential for positive pathways forward.
*THERE IS NO FEE FOR PARTICIPATION IN THIS SYMPOSIUM*
*The symposium is now full. Registration submissions will be waitlisted.*
REGISTER HERE (space is limited): https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3C23XBF
PROVIDE ANONYMOUS INPUT ON SYMPOSIUM: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3JVQ3DS
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org